Senior Principal Scientist (Analytical Method Development)
United Kingdom, Slough
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Reporting to the Head of MDV, this role is pivotal in providing strong scientific leadership in the development and validation of analytical methods used to analyse therapeutic proteins manufactured by mammalian cell culture processes.
The remit of this role is to drive scientific direction and improvements in areas of expertise, as well as, support the definition of the Group’s analytical strategy, and make the plan to get there.
- To provide strong scientific leadership by championing new technologies and methods, whilst maintaining and improving existing technologies
- To drive improvements to processes and offerings by challenging existing policies, guidelines and practices
- To stay abreast of the evolving global technical and regulatory landscape
- To represent Lonza in customer meetings and input into proposals for new business
- To lead multi-disciplinary teams to achieve the objectives of major / complex projects
- To play a leading role to resolve scientific problems where projects have encountered difficulties
- Ensure a high standard of science and quality of work is maintained for internal and external customers
- To review complex reports to ensure they are based on good science and present a high quality image of Lonza
- To develop strategies to develop and enhance the teams’ technical expertise
- To coach and mentor scientists at all stages of their careers in both technical and general leadership areas
- PhD/BSc in relevant scientific discipline or relevant previous experience
- Advanced knowledge of analytical methods used to analyse the purity, identity and impurities of protein products manufactured by mammalian cell culture processes
- Product purity and identity methods (eg icIEF, CE SDS, SE-HPLC, IEX, RP-HPLC, HIC)
- Manufacturing process-related impurity methods (eg DNA qPCR, HCP ELISA and Protein A ELISA)
- Expert knowledge of analytical method development
- Advanced knowledge of analytical method validation
- Advanced knowledge of glycoprotein biochemistry
- Advanced experience of the interpretation of analytical data from protein products generated throughout the mammalian cell culture manufacturing process
- Advanced knowledge of the relevant analytical regulatory requirements
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.