Senior Principal Scientist - Manufacturing, Science & Technology (MSAT)
United Kingdom, Slough
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Manufacturing, Science & Technology (MSAT) plays a critical role in the successful transition of innovative technology and biologics process technical transfer oversight from laboratory to Good Manufacturing Practice (cGMP) manufacturing scales providing our customers with range of services in the realization of the next generation of therapeutic molecules with one mission “making tomorrows medicines today”!
As a Principal Scientist, you will be a recognised process expert in area of expertise and will provide detailed technical support via multiple customer facing project teams to deliver existing but also novel technology advancement, perform complex technical data analysis and deliver the required complex technical process documentation in collaboration, negotiation and discussion with external customers, team subject matter expert’s (SME) and internal stakeholders as required.
This role will have an established internal network and have influence and credibility across operations in area of expertise and with MSAT team management.
- Representing MSAT within multiple complex customer facing product project teams using a standard methodology/procedure to successfully transfer both existing as well as evaluate new technologies either into upstream processing (USP) and/or downstream processing (DSP) cGMP biologics manufacturing from development through MSAT pilot scale facilities.
- Accountability for the introduction and support of qualification of new process technologies into cGMP manufacturing, whilst managing technical risks associated with process transfer, leading cross functional teams to ensure relevant transfer and communication of critical process and technical information such that successful outcomes are achieved as agreed with customer.
- Proactively communicate effectively, negotiate, collaborate and demonstrate technical influence over the customer, via both face to face meeting and telecoms driving problem resolution and offer successful technical outcomes
- To be accountable for independent on plant technical support, process monitoring and complex data analysis using experience to anticipate issues before they become critical.
- Leading associated improvement activities leading cross functional teams to successfully implement according to customer and business needs.
- Using technical influence and knowledge in project teams to ensure delivery of project timelines according to customer needs
- To proactively anticipate, evaluate and resolve technical challenges within area of expertise.
- MSc/PhD in science related disciplines
- Mammalian and/or microbial background for drug substance processing
- Extensive experience in a drug substance environment
- Strong knowledge in laboratory development and/or a manufacturing operations background.
- Be a recognized expert in field USP and/or DSP drug substance operations from working in a cGMP environment.
- Have a successful technical transfer expertise gained from a drug substance manufacturing environment.
- Have demonstrable experience working in cross functional project management and technical transfer activities with ability to multi task, prioritize and be an effective decision maker.
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.