Senior Applications Scientist - Paint Formulation (Architectural Coatings)
United States, Alpharetta (Georgia)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Established and experienced Applications/Formulation Scientist who will work in architectural coatings (Paint Formulation) and polymer chemistry. An independent role supporting the Coatings & Composites (CoCo) group primarily through managing projects in the areas of Paint formulation development and performance.
- Independently plans, performs, and manages the activities on the development, implementation of procedures and processes in the field of polymer synthesis, formulation development and performance additives through multiple assigned projects. Being a liaison between different stakeholders (R&D, Marketing, Operations, Regulatory etc.) in moving the improved or newly developed products to commercialization phase.
- Seek opportunities to impart new functionality into coatings (ex. insect repellant, odor absorbing, etc.) in order to capture more value as the supplier providing the feature which differentiates our coatings customer’s product
- Coordinates, plans and executes experiments in a laboratory environment to include; DOE, data collection, data analysis and summary, while safely operating in and maintaining a shared lab/platform. Prepares and reviews complex reports or production work instructions for distribution to other functions, operations, or business groups and ensures they are based on good science and present a high quality image of Lonza. Prepare technical reports and other promotional materials (case studies, presentations, technical bulletins) to highlight the benefits to coatings manufacturers arising from the use of Lonza functional chemicals.
- Represents the Applications team, as a sound scientific professional, in meetings with internal customers (R&D, Marketing, Operations, Regulatory). May need to interface with external customers supporting projects of various business units. Promote Lonza functional chemicals through technical papers and presentations at coatings industry meetings and at individual customer meetings
- Evaluation and Implementation of trends and innovations in the area of expertise ensuring a good dissemination of quality information and best practice throughout the team. Gives inputs to decisions within own discipline.
- Ph.D. or M.S. degree (preferred area of study: Organic or Polymer Chemistry)
- Significant experience with procedures, concepts and principles within product development, formulations, polymer chemistry, and design of experiments
- Paint Formulation experience is a must
- GMP knowledge is a plus
- Must be able to demonstrate scientific/technical leadership at the project level
- Global experience is a plus
- Project Management experience (PMP Certification is a plus)
- Advanced problem solving skills
- Effective comprehensive & communication skills necessary to exchange complex information
- Entrepreneurial spirit with a strong customer focus
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.