Manager/Senior Manager, Manufacturing Science and Technology (Tech Transfer)
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
Lonza is establishing a strategic bio manufacturing base in China using GE Healthcare Solutions. With the new facility, Lonza is responding to growing demand for a high-quality CDMO in the Chinese market. You will lead a team of Process Engineers/Specialists to enable the timely and successful transfer of the cell culture or purification stages of the customer's manufacturing process into Lonza Guangzhou. Work with technical experts from Lonza's customer companies and with Lonza Manufacturing (MFG), Quality Assurance (QA), Quality Control (QC), and other departments on the technology transfer. Manage multiple technology transfers in parallel.
Serve as Downstream or Upstream Subject Matter Expert for area with generalized expertise across processes and strive to be recognized as such.
- Develop and continuously improve templates for rapid, efficient and accurate tech transfer execution.
- Develop basic understanding of other areas (ex. working knowledge of Downstream for a cell culture manager) to enable broad technical discussions with customers during technology transfer, process support or investigation.
- Own process descriptions and master batch records.
- Provide technical expertise during plant start-up and pilot/commercial runs and perform technical investigations and author technical reports to support close-out of deviations, trouble-shoot process excursions/issues during production.
- Direct activities in the small-scale cell culture or downstream process lab to support process technology transfer and investigations.
- Identify system level areas for improvement within department or site and propose projects to drive such improvements. Use technical knowledge to influence decision making at site level.
- Lead strategy, preparation and discussions during inspections and audits by customer and regulatory authorities.
- Liaise with development/Manufacturing Science and Technology groups at other Lonza sites to implement best practices.
- Communicate clearly in face to face and written communications to successfully influence matrix internal and external teams in order to meet site goals.
- Supervise and mentor direct reports.
- Any other assignments from supervisor.
- Doctor’s degree in chemical engineering, biochemical engineering,
- Biochemistry/chemistry/microbiology or related discipline, with significant work experience, OR a Master's degree in the above disciplines with substantial work experience, OR a bachelor’s degree with extensive experience.
- Prior current Good Manufacturing Practices operations experience with cell culture or purification and a strong understanding of critical process parameters is required.
- Prior supervisory or project management experience required.
- Demonstrated track record in executing/managing multiple priorities under tight deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills, outstanding action orientation, and ability to work well in a cross-functional technical environment.
- Excellent technical writing skills, ability to provide attention to details is essential.
- Strong knowledge of Excel and/or other data analysis software is required.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.