Associate Director, Business Development (Biologics)
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Today Lonza is a global leader in life sciences. We are more than 15,000 employees in more than 100 locations around the world. While we work in science, there’s no magic formula to how we do it. Our greatest scientific solution is talented people working together, devising ideas that help businesses to help people. In exchange, we let our people own their careers. Their ideas, big and small, genuinely improve the world. And that’s the kind of work we want to be part of.
To proactively identify and build new customer relationships for Lonza to deliver year on year revenue and pipeline opportunity growth targets for Lonza Pharma Biotech. To effectively promote current technical capabilities and new technologies as they become available to facilitate generation and closing of new clinical development business opportunities in Biologics. This role will be focused on generating new business across our Applied Protein Services, Mammalian, Microbial, Bioconjugates and Drug Product service offerings.
- Responsible for generating new business from new customers through a high level of customer contact including frequent direct customer visits and extensive networking activities.
- Demonstrate strategic business awareness of the market and customers in order to differentiate Lonza from the competition
- Effectively promote current technical capabilities and emerging / new technologies as they become available to facilitate generation and closing of new business opportunities. Primary means of achieving through e-mail communications, phone conversations, face-to-face meetings, and customer tailored presentations.
- Effectively communicate Lonza’s position and negotiate contracts where appropriate
- Maintains strong technical and market knowledge to enable meaningful conversations with prospective customers
- Work with marketing, account managers and product development to develop strategies that ensure Lonza’s position as the leading solutions provider.
- Formulate value propositions to generate opportunities to address the customers' needs
- Identify market trends, assesses market potential and develop strategies to grow market share using data from customer base / market and communicating effectively with internal stakeholders.
- A Master's degree in Life Science's or Engineering. PhD and/or MBA preferred - preferred area of study: Biology, Biochemistry, or related Engineering
- Significant commercial experience in the Contract Development and Manufacturing Organization (CDMO) environment with biologics/large molecule focus
- Proven track record in delivering year on year business targets for complex high value deals
- Strong negotiation skills
- High level of understanding of the drug development process from pre-clinical to clinical development and commercialization
- Strong technical understanding of drug substance and drug product manufacturing processes
- Understanding of SalesForce.com customer contact management system
- Has energy level and engaging style to easily form a range of customer relationships from technical / project to executive level.
- Demonstrates strong business awareness and commercial acumen in positioning Lonza products/services
Every day, Lonza’s products and services have a positive impact on millions of people. For us, this is not only a great privilege, but also a great responsibility. How we achieve our business results is just as important as the achievements themselves. At Lonza, we respect and protect our people and our environment. Any success we achieve is no success at all if not achieved ethically.
People come to Lonza for the challenge and creativity of solving complex problems and developing new ideas in life sciences. In return, we offer the satisfaction that comes with improving lives all around the world. The satisfaction that comes with making a meaningful difference.
Lonza is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a qualified individual with disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.