Bacillus subtilis is the latest strain addition to the Lonza's XS™ Toolbox. This organism has been thoroughly characterized and investigated; its genome has been completely sequenced and all essential genes and metabolic pathways are known. It has also achieved Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) status with the US FDA. Currently this organism is widely used for production of prokaryotic industrial enzymes.
Lonza has developed two XS™ Bacillus Expression Systems for the production of recombinant biopharmaceuticals and vaccines. XS™ Bacillus is an interesting option to explore for monomeric protein products possessing some intrinsic folding propensity. It is also an attractive host for biopharmaceutical production because it can express soluble properly folded heterologous protein, lacks endotoxin and grows easily to high cell densities in minimal media. These features make recovery and downstream processing easier, more efficient, and improves overall process yields.
Lonza's XS™ Bacillus Systems Include:
- Host: Proprietary Bacillus subtilis 168 derivative
- Two complementary induction approaches: Sugar Inducible and Auto Inducible
- Over 10 signal sequences to screen
- Patented high cell density fed-batch fermentation protocols
- Same multi-cloning site for all plasmids