Financial Year 2010 Results
Lonza delivered a robust operating performance in 2010
- Sales of CHF 2680 million (CHF 2690 million in 2009), up 3.3% at constant exchange rates
- Stable EBITDA margins (24.0%), despite volatile environment
- EBIT of CHF 374 million (CHF 380 million in 2009), up 5.8% at constant exchange rates
- CHF 28 million negative exchange rate impact on EBIT
- Net profit rose to CHF 284 million, up 10.4% in constant exchange rates
- Free cash flow of CHF 336 million (+ 559%)
- Jean-Daniel Gerber proposed as new member of the Board of Directors
- The Board of Directors is proposing a cash dividend of CHF 2.15 per share, up 23%
Lonza delivered a robust business performance in 2010, with sales and EBIT increasing 3.3% and 5.8% respectively at constant exchange rates. The company continued to benefit from pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies outsourcing more of their manufacturing and development activities. During the year, we achieved a number of important successes. We improved capacity utilization, particularly in Biological Manufacturing in the second half of the year. The Microbial Control business generated strong growth. Our project pipeline was increased significantly through the signing of new contracts and multi-product deals, especially in Chemical and Biological Manufacturing and Cell Therapy. However, these operating positives were offset by slower pharmaceutical product approvals as a result of the more stringent regulatory environment, as well as rising raw material costs, which affected the profitability of our non-pharma businesses. The appreciation of the Swiss franc against nearly all important trading currencies during 2010 led to a transactional and translational reduction of CHF 28 million in EBIT. In 2010, Lonza further improved its balance sheet structure and significantly increased free cash flow to CHF 336 million. As a result, gearing was reduced to 46%.
- EBIT growth at constant exchange rates will continue
- Solid growth in 2011 especially in Biological Custom Manufacturing and Bioscience
- Investment and R&D projects will deliver mid-term growth
- On track to deliver 2013 incremental EBIT targets on a constant currency basis
- The strength of the Swiss franc, erratic raw material pricing and less predictable regulatory approvals will continue to cause volatility
- Significant free cash flow delivery will continue in 2011
- Lonza’s increased financial flexibility will open up expansion opportunities in our life-science-focused value chain
- Lonza’s Life Sciences strategy remains solid
Board of Directors
The Board of Directors has revised the dividend policy with an increased pay-out ratio of up to 40% to reflect the Group’s positive outlook and cash generation. The Board proposes an increased cash dividend of CHF 2.15 per share for 2010.
The Lonza Board of Directors is proposing to elect Jean-Daniel Gerber as new member of the Lonza Board of Directors at the next annual general meeting on 12 April 2011. Jean-Daniel Gerber brings a broad range of experience to the Lonza Board having served in various positions for the Swiss government. Among others, he has been chairing the State Secretary for Economic Affairs (SECO) since 2004. From 1993 to 1997 he served as Executive Director and Dean (1997) of the Board of the World Bank Group. He will retire from Government service on 31 March 2011.
The Board of Directors will increase from six to seven members.
For more detailed information, please refer to the Full-Year Report 2010 published today.
Lonza is one of the world's leading suppliers to the pharmaceutical, healthcare and life science industries. Products and services span its customers’ needs from research to final product manufacture. It is the global leader in the production and support of active pharmaceutical ingredients both chemically as well as biotechnologically. Biopharmaceuticals are one of the key growth drivers of the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries. Lonza has strong capabilities in large and small molecules, peptides, amino acids and niche bioproducts which play an important role in the development of novel medicines and healthcare products. In addition, Lonza is a leader in cell-based research, endotoxin detection and cell therapy manufacturing. Furthermore, the company is a leading provider of value chemical and biotech ingredients to the nutrition, hygiene, preservation, agro and personal care markets.
Lonza is headquartered in Basel, Switzerland and is listed on the SIX Swiss Exchange. In 2010, the company had sales of CHF 2.680 billion. Further information can be found at www.lonza.com .
For further Information
Lonza Group Ltd
Head Corporate Communications
Tel +41 61 316 8798
Fax +41 61 316 9798
Lonza Group Ltd
Tel +1 201 316 9413
Fax +1 201 696 3533
Lonza Group Ltd
Tel +41 61 316 8540
Fax +41 61 316 9540